Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Very Sad Day

From the New York Times:
Owning the War | 8:10 p.m. President Obama began with an explanation. And in seven simple words, he laid out why he had decided to escalate the war in Afghanistan, declaring: “We did not ask for this fight.”

With those words, Mr. Obama formally assumed ownership of the war that began eight years ago. With those words, the commander-in-chief began his attempt to explain to a war-weary nation why it is necessary, once again, to send more troops to Afghanistan.

“Afghanistan is not lost,” Mr. Obama said, “but for several years it has moved backwards.”

The president is standing against a backdrop of flags, speaking to a large audience of cadets. Before he outlined the strategy, he explained why his review of Afghanistan took more than 90 days, saying: “I owe you a mission that is clearly defined and worthy of your service.”

“I do not make this decision lightly,” he added.

I had hope that it would be different.
I'm sad because we live in Hawaii where there are many service men and women, my children have been witness to the profound impact a deployed family member has on a family, a community. They are brave and selfless that is for sure. When I heard the news of 30,000 more service members deployed within the new year it hurt me. I can't imagine how it would feel to have your Dad or Mom deployed for the second , third , fourth time.
My Dad was deployed to Vietnam when I was three and my Mom was pregnant with my brother. It forever changed her, and therefore me and our family.
My heart aches knowing how much that is happening in our country right now with no end in sight.

Here is why:
Picture 5

Arlington Cemetary
Need I Say More?
Both of my parents are here.
They earned it.

0 comments: