Sunday, May 31, 2009

oh how I love hawaii

Faced with the possibility of moving off island recently
I was faced with a reality...
I've come to love this place
and I was willing to do pretty much whatever it took to stay here,
it was a full circle moment.
My parents were here quite a while ago , my Father's first assignment out of flight school, Honolulu. His classmates teased him because there was nuclear testing going on in the Pacific Islands and they thought he was sure to be nuked. Instead, his job was to fly dignitaries across the Pacific to Asia. It was a charmed life for a newlywed couple.
My sister was born here. So even though I might be considered a mainland Haole, I think that it's serendipitous that here we are.
I grew up with little snippets of Hawaiian culture:
Terriyaki, Don Ho, Tetami tables, Asian art and furniture.
My mother came to die here
now that's a full circle moment
and hopefully that circle will continue
marriages and babies
and more generations
loving
continuing the story that started decades ago.
We are so happy to be able to stay here.
That's all I'm saying.
Lucky we live Hawaii.

0 comments: