Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On Being Vulnerable

"We connect through our vulnerabilities more deeply than through our strengths."
I find this to be so true, here are a few instances that come to mind. When I was first dating my husband I was blinded by love and somehow he convinced me that white water rafting, on class five rapids, in the snow, was a good idea. I grew a lot as a person that day, I trusted my life to a man named Rob, he was our guide. We were the lead raft so the first to go through every rapid. I remember there were a few rapids that were so steep you couldn't see where they ended. I loved Rob at the end of that day for giving me the thrill of a lifetime and keeping me out of the freezing water. I still remember the advice he gave if anyone went in the river (and two rafts did) "breathe when you can."

Another time being vulnerable made me instantly close to someone: when the anesthesiologist gave me my epidural. I couldn't catch my breath between contractions , I was in excruciating pain, and he said "don't move. " That was one of the hardest things I'd ever had to do but boy did I love him once it was over.

I was definitely vulnerable while caring for my Mother during her fight with inflammatory breast cancer. I couldn't do it all , I couldn't deal with it all . My friends were awesome, they got me through that time they did more than my siblings were willing or able to do. I'll never forget them for that, and I hope to return the favor some day.
Last thought on this: if I know this is true, why is it so hard to put yourself out there, to be vulnerable? I guess the answer is trust it takes trust to be vulnerable and it's hard to ask for what you need and it's hard when you ask and people aren't there for you.

The ironic thing is one of the qualities I admire most in someone is when they are real , honest, they don't hide behind a facade of being perfect. We are all imperfect, especially as parents.

0 comments: