Friday, November 7, 2008

Yes He Did!



Hawaii and the rest of the world breathe a sigh of relief. I had to put this video up because it makes me happy and it gives me hope that we can recover from the mess of the last eight years. I was humming it in my head as I waited two hours to vote and I can't help but thinking Obama's Tutu and Mom are drifting somewhere in time humming it too.

The best thing heard on election day- a volunteer says to a young woman "thank you for your patience" and the woman responds with "I've been waiting for eight years, two hours in nothing."

The worst thing heard on election day proposition eight legalizing discrimination passes, along with other bans on same sex marriage. Also Arkansas' ban on adoption and foster care for unmarried couples. How can we put an African American man in the White House and turn around and discriminate against 20% of the population? How can 70% of African American voters vote for proposition eight when they have been fighting against discrimination for so long? Why is it that the young people of America are more accepting? At least their future is looking brighter. There is still a lot of work to be done to create a world where all people feel safe, where all people are valued for what they bring to the day and not for how they look , who they do or don't worship, and who makes them happy at the end of the day.

0 comments: