Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Love Rock and Roll

My Early Musical Influences:




How I love music....I mean it really moves me, and as I've said before-- I've always wished that our every day life had a sound track.

I often have one running in the back of my mind, on any given day.
Somehow that ever present soundtrack has transferred to my children. There is always music in our house, so maybe that is the soundtrack I've been wishing for.
Both the boy and the girl have amazing voices. People have asked, "where does the voice come from?, and I've been known to say-" lots of prayer".
And by that I mean me saying, "God I wish I could sing, I'll trade almost anything for that." and I guess God said, "yeah that's not meant for you but how about two of your creations, serenading you? "
Wow that IS WAY better!!!

My love of music seems like it was always there, that's probably because I grew up in a house with lots of music.
I stole my dad's albums and was sometimes surprised at how cool he was, the Beatles. I remember finding that in my Dad's album collection and being really impressed. Another fond memory I have is my Father singing Johnny Cash on the back porch with my Uncle John playing fiddle.
Oh and there was Don Ho , Tiny Bubbles.
At this time of year I always think about my Dad cueing up the reel to reel player. He would break out that same ( what do you call it ? it's so anitquated now I don't even know tape thing. the reel with the music thing) The song I remember like it's happening right now .... Drummer boy ....

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.


When I was a teen and there were no portable music devices, no walk man, no portable cd players, no ipod, nano, itouch.

I know it makes you want to cry huh?
here is how I improvised:
lay on the floor,
one speaker on either side of head ( yeah, WHAT???, is my favorite word now),
blast music,
sing at top of lungs,
To Boehemian Rhapsody.
So funny because that is what the boy is learning on piano and blasting on his non- improvised- listening -device now.
It's like God is saying...
"Good things come to those who wait,
don't think I'm not listening."

And I SMILE.

0 comments: